PIANO | KEYBOARD | COMPOSE | RECORD
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR LIMITED SPOTS AUGUST 5th - AUGUST 23rd
The Malibu Program at Serra redefines the model of traditional music education in both structure and method. Private piano lessons are the core of the program, offered during school hours, when the mind and body are most alert. Concepts are reinforced and progress is ensured with the opportunity to take up to three private lessons per week. The curriculum includes both traditional classical methods and use of modern, creative technology. A group ‘music discovery class’ takes place every-other week, where the students share their work, collaborate in new exciting ways, and experience music in several forms.
Create a strong, essential musical foundation through private classical piano lessons
We all posses the ability to become fluent in the musical language, with dedication to small, weekly practice goals. Master the "rules", so that eventually you can break them.
Awaken and express the inherent musicality we are all born with.
Find the joy in self expression through music. Learn to play inspiring pieces with your current skill set. Apply your skills to electronic music and discover a new universe of tones. Create your own music through composition and improvisation.
Thrive together in a supportive and inspirational environment.
A sense of community will motivate the students while understanding accountability to their peers.
In addition to accomplishing your musical goals, you will forever carry the non-musical benefits of studying piano: critical and abstract thinking, self discipline, focus, and ability to set and achieve goals.
PRIVATE LESSON CURRICULUM
- Method Books (introduction of concepts, reading and writing music notation).
- Rote Learning (by showing and copying, the student learns pieces beyond their current reading abilities)
- Percussion and Rhythm
- Music Theory
- Small Weekly Goals (Lesson Songs to Practice)
- Larger goals (Recital Piece, development, preparation, and performance)
- Repertoire development, including pieces selected by student and teacher
Creative Music & Technology
- Introduction to music software production programs Logic, Garage Band, more
- Explore hundreds of instruments tones on electronic keyboard
- Experience playing lesson pieces on new sounds
- Record your own compositions and improvisations
- Create an album
- Program Drum Beats
- Introduction to MIDI programming
- Film Scoring
GROUP MUSIC DISCOVERY AND ENSEMBLE CURRICULUM
Pre-requisite: Private piano lessons with Ashley // TBD Schedule
PIANO STUDIO CLASS
- Students share the pieces they are working on in the private lessons. Frequent and casual exposure to performing builds confidence naturally.
MUSIC APPRECIATION AND ENSEMBLE
- An introduction to historical composers, modern artists, and world music through listening, and movement,
- Ensemble singing and percussion
KEYBOARD ROCK BAND
- Break into groups of 4 students, playing 4 different keyboards.
- Each student will cover a different instrument tone (bass, rhythm, melody, etc) to create a piano "band".
- Why I like this over real guitar/bass/drums/strings: Using a keyboard instantly creates a perfect, in-tune tone, with access to infinite instruments. This will allow beginners to sound like professionals!
INSTRUMENT DISCOVERY & GROUP LESSONS
- Guest Musicians demonstrate, perform, and discuss their instrument
- Active and environmental music listening
- Using Music in collaboration with other expressive art forms
- Potential field trips
- Instrument Design and Creation
- Sound exploration through found materials
About Ashley Hill
Instructor Ashley Hill is a classically trained pianist, composer, and music educator. She has devoted her life to becoming an accomplished musician, and now creates music through others with her music education studio. She knew from the young age of six that music was her calling, and eventually graduated Magna Cum Laude from Arizona State University in 2006 with a Bachelors Degree in Music Composition and Theory, with an emphasis in Piano Performance. Since 2002, Ashley has toured the world, performed for front of crowds of tens of thousands of people, and maintained a private piano studio of 30 students. She continues to fall more in love with music education every year, as that has become her core focus. She works with everyone from young beginners to competitive college-prep musicians. In addition to teaching, she scores music for commercials, composes and performs many forms of music, spanning classical chamber ensembles to progressive metal. She is a founding member of the critically acclaimed progressive rock 'super group' Orbs.
Fall 2016 Tuition
Private Lessons | 12 weeks | 55 minute sessions
$1,200 1 weekly lesson
$2,400 2 weekly lessons
$3,600 3 weekly lessons
Group Music Discovery and Collaboration | 6 weeks | 3 Hour Sessions *schedule subject to change
$810 *subject to change
$50 Books and Materials
TBD Classroom materials cost
August 5th – 23rd New-student application period
August 26th Private lesson schedule finalized and released
September 2nd Tuition in full, registration and material fees are due
September 6th First week of lessons
December 15th Final week of lessons
December 18th Formal Recital at Steinway Hall in Beverly Hills
No lessons the week of October 3rd, October 17th, and November 21st
Application & Registration Procedure
- $30 registration fee
- Complete the 3 forms (New student Application, Schedule Request, and Contract)
- Scan documents or take a clear, high quality photo, and send to Ashley via email or text.
- Documents must be received no later than Tuesday, August 23rd.
- Acceptance, Preferred lesson times and Frequency are not guaranteed, but will be considered on a best efforts basis.
- Schedule of private lessons will be released Friday August 26th via email, along with an invoice for semester.
- Please feel free to touch base via email with Ashley Hill to introduce yourself, or ask any questions before sending in forms.
- Contact // Email: AshleyComposer@gmail.com // Phone: 480-980-6462
As a courtesy to the teacher, students must give notification of anticipated absences; however, this does not exempt the student from payment as contracted. There will be no makeup lessons for student absences. In cases of sudden illness on the part of the teacher, the teacher shall make every reasonable attempt to notify students, and a make-up lesson shall be scheduled at a mutually convenient time. If the student misses a make-up lesson, there will be no second make-up opportunity.
An acoustic piano in the student’s home is required for practice. If you do not already own a piano, I can arrange for you to rent one for as low as $55/month, plus a delivery fee.
An iPad and/or Apple laptop is recommended for use listening, video practice references, metronome, and use of musical apps, but not required.
$50 fee for Start-up Materials, which includes 3 method books (lesson, theory, and performance), practice log for the semester, music binder, manuscript paper, flashcards, and a musical tote bag to transport materials to lessons. Any additional books or sheet music the student needs during the semester is their responsibility to purchase. Students are required to bring all of their books and materials to every lesson.
A to be determined additional fee for classroom materials will be distributed equitably amongst students, once the number of students has been determined.
Practice is mandatory and is the single most important aspect to your child’s progress; lessons alone will not be enough to stay on track. I will give written and verbal instructions for each weeks practice goals to both the student and parent. Students are required to log their practice, and parents are needed for support.
Upon receipt of forms and contract, lessons times will be released along with an invoice for the semester on August 26th. Tuition in full, and all fees (registration and materials) are due September 2nd. Checks are payable to Ashley Hill, and can be mailed to 4034 La Salle Avenue Culver City, CA 90232.