PIANO | KEYBOARD | COMPOSE | RECORD
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR LIMITED SPOTS
Location: Student's home OR Ashley's Home Studio in Carlson Park neighborhood of Culver City
Create a strong, essential musical foundation through private classical piano lessons
We all posses the ability to become fluent in the musical language, with dedication to small, weekly practice goals. Master the "rules", so that eventually you can break them.
Awaken and express the inherent musicality we are all born with.
Find the joy in self expression through music. Learn to play inspiring pieces with your current skill set. Apply your skills to electronic music and discover a new universe of tones. Create your own music through composition and improvisation.
In addition to accomplishing your musical goals, you will forever carry the non-musical benefits of studying piano: critical and abstract thinking, self discipline, focus, and ability to set and achieve goals.
PRIVATE LESSON CURRICULUM
- Method Books (introduction of concepts, reading and writing music notation).
- Rote Learning (by showing and copying, the student learns pieces beyond their current reading abilities)
- Percussion and Rhythm
- Music Theory
- Small Weekly Goals (Lesson Songs to Practice)
- Larger goals (Recital Piece, development, preparation, and performance)
- Repertoire development, including pieces selected by student and teacher
Creative Music & Technology
- Improvisation and Composing
- Introduction to music software production programs Logic, Garage Band, more **
- Explore hundreds of instruments tones on electronic keyboard **
- Experience playing lesson pieces on new sounds **
- Record your own compositions and improvisations **
- Create an album **
- Program Drum Beats **
- Introduction to MIDI programming **
- Film Scoring **
** Only offered for lessons in Ashley's home studio
About Ashley Hill
Instructor Ashley Hill is a classically trained pianist, composer, and music educator. She has devoted her life to becoming an accomplished musician, and now creates music through others with her music education studio. She knew from the young age of six that music was her calling, and eventually graduated Magna Cum Laude from Arizona State University in 2006 with a Bachelors Degree in Music Composition and Theory, with an emphasis in Piano Performance. Since 2002, Ashley has toured the world, performed for front of crowds of tens of thousands of people, and maintained a private piano studio of 30 students. She continues to fall more in love with music education every year, as that has become her core focus. She works with everyone from young beginners to competitive college-prep musicians. In addition to teaching, she scores music for commercials, composes and performs many forms of music, spanning classical chamber ensembles to progressive metal. She is a founding member of the critically acclaimed progressive rock 'super group' Orbs.
Fall 2016 Tuition
Private Lessons | Billed in 8 week cycles |
$40 per 30 minute lesson
$56 per 45 minute lesson
$75 per 60 minute lesson
$25 Travel Fee for lessons in students home, per lesson. Waived for lessons at Ashley's
$50 1st round of Books and Materials
TBD Purchase of suggested supplemental music
August 5th – 23rd New-student application period
September 16th Private lesson schedule finalized and released
December 18th Formal Recital at Steinway Hall in Beverly Hills
No lessons the week of October 3rd, October 17th, November 21st, and December 19th - end of year
TBD Jan 2 or 9 Winter 2017 8 week cycle begins
Application & Registration Procedure
- $30 registration fee
- Complete the 3 forms (New student Application, Schedule Request, and Contract)
- Scan documents or take a clear, high quality photo, and send to Ashley via email or text.
- Acceptance, Preferred lesson times and Frequency are not guaranteed, but will be considered on a best efforts basis.
- Schedule of private lessons will be released at a TBD date mid-September via email, along with an invoice for the semester.
- Please feel free to touch base via email with Ashley Hill to introduce yourself, or ask any questions before sending in forms.
- Contact // Email: AshleyComposer@gmail.com // Phone: 480-980-6462
As a courtesy to the teacher, students must give notification of anticipated absences; however, this does not exempt the student from payment as contracted. There will be no makeup lessons for student absences. In cases of sudden illness on the part of the teacher, the teacher shall make every reasonable attempt to notify students, and a make-up lesson shall be scheduled at a mutually convenient time. If the student misses a make-up lesson, there will be no second make-up opportunity.
An acoustic piano in the student’s home is required for practice. If you do not already own a piano, I can arrange for you to rent one for as low as $55/month, plus a delivery fee.
An iPad and/or Apple laptop is recommended for use listening, video practice references, metronome, and use of musical apps, but not required.
$50 fee for Start-up Materials, which includes 3 method books (lesson, theory, and performance), practice log for the semester, music binder, manuscript paper, flashcards, and a musical tote bag to transport materials to lessons. Any additional books or sheet music the student needs during the semester is their responsibility to purchase. Students are required to bring all of their books and materials to every lesson.
Practice is mandatory and is the single most important aspect to your child’s progress; lessons alone will not be enough to stay on track. I will give written and verbal instructions for each weeks practice goals to both the student and parent. Students are required to log their practice, and parents are needed for support.
Upon receipt of forms and contract, lessons times will be released along with an invoice for the 8 week cycle. For each 8 week cycle, tuition in full, and all fees (registration and materials) are due prior to the first lesson. Checks are payable to Ashley Hill, and can be mailed to 4034 La Salle Avenue Culver City, CA 90232.
WHY STUDY PIANO?